Thursday, August 15, 2013

Walking through addiction


When I decided to name this blog Walkingthroughaddiction I had no idea where our son's drug addiction would take us. We had been to some pretty dark places and there were times I didn't think we would ever see the light again. The journey through addiction is like a bad dream that you can't wake up from; a cycle of pain and heartache.  Just when you make it through one crisis you are faced with another one. I had become numb and was filled with hopelessness and despair.
 
When I finally found myself in the rooms of Al-Anon I began to hold on to a glimmer of hope that things could get better. People would say, "wait for the miracles". I stayed because I desperately wanted to believe that things could change. And although our family continued to struggle I began to witness miracles in other peoples lives. It brought me hope that one day our lives would be better. I CAME TO BELIEVE that a power greater than myself could restore me to sanity. I slowly came out of the fog I had been in and began to enjoy my life again. I learned that I had choices and that although I couldn't control my son's addiction I could control the path that I chose to be on.
I am thankful to say that our whole family is walking on a path of recovery today.
 
 
  
 The journey we are on is filled with peace, serenity, joy and laughter.
A few weeks ago our son came for a visit and we took a walk to the river where I was overwhelmed with gratitude as I watched my son and his girlfriend gaze at the river.
 
 
These two young people fought a hard fight to find their way THROUGH addiction.
They are committed to staying on a path that will lead them to continued sobriety.
We don't know what tomorrow will bring but
for today I am filled with gratitude! I am so glad I stuck around the rooms long enough to witness miracles in my life and the lives of these two young people as well as countless others.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment